When a new workspace is created, it has a set of tools defined in the Active Dashboard. These are the basic tools required to build any dashboard. However, the Active Dashboard allows you to create your own tools and import these into the dashboard palette. This section describes how these functions work.
The new tool can include shapes, groups, modifiers, and widgets, such as charts and gauges.
- To create a new tool in Active Console, click View > Active Dashboards.
- Use any existing shapes or figures from the dashboard palette to create your own new tool.
- Click Toggle Tool Creation Mode once your new tool is completed.
- Drag and drop the tool into the Active Dashboard Palette to edit its properties. This opens the Tool Configuration dialog:
|Name||Name of the tool that must be unique in the workspace. This does not affect the functionality of the tool.|
|Description||Used as reference in the tooltip of the tool.|
|System tool||Determines whether the tool is a system tool. This setting is not accessible to the user.|
|Licenced||Determines whether the tool is licenced. This setting is not accessible to the user.
All tools are licenced if the user is in an evaluation period or has accepted the dashboard licence.
|Visible in toolbar||Determines whether the tool is available in the toolbar of the dashboard. If not selected, it will only be available when suitable data items are dropped into the dashboard.|
|Icon||Icon that appears in the command bar and drag-and-drop menu. It must be 22x22 pixels. If an image is selected that has a different size, it is automatically scaled.|
You can export user-defined tools from the workspace
.adt file. These can be imported into other
workspaces. To export a tool, you can:
- Right-click the tool in the dashboard tool bar and click Export.
- Select one or more tools in the Active Dashboard Palette and click Export Tool.
To import an
.adt file, go to File > Import.
Imported tools are added and subsequently saved
with the current workspace.
Note: The standard tools that are available in a new workspace are available in the UserResources\DashboardTools directory in the Active Console install directory as .adt files.
All paths are converted into
droppeditem() paths when a tool is created in the dashboard palette through drag and drop.
During tool creation, you can link the information to a single cell or data item from the dataview. This feature allows the tools created to automatically infer paths, so you can reuse this for similar data sets:
Each shape represents a value from the dataview. You can display the values in the tool by selecting the cell and dragging it to their corresponding shapes.
In this example, the following columns from the dataview are displayed:
- Click Toggle Tool Creation Mode to create a new tool.
- Drag and drop the tool into the Active Dashboard Palette canvas after setting the values.
- When the Tool Configuration dialog appears on the screen, enter the tool name in the Name field.
- Click Add in the Path group to set the object's path.
- Click OK to save the changes in the Tool Configuration. The new shape appears in the Active Dashboard Palette group.
- Select a new cell or data item to be used.
- Drag and drop the cell or data item into the Active Dashboard. The Tools & Modifiers dialog appears on the screen.
- Select the tool you have created.
- Click OK.
When you select the next data item in the
processorTimecolumn, it automatically gets the other values that were used in the first tool created: