Zookeeper monitoring is a Gateway configuration file that enables monitoring of the Zookeeper Replicas through a set of samplers with customised JMX plug-in settings.
Zookeeper is a distributed process that allows deployment configurations and can be used as a container manager. It has a built-in load balancing capability that can manage multiple services in different machines simultaneously.
Track the following key areas when using Zookeeper monitoring:
|Replica configuration||Refers to the configuration settings the users can set.|
|Replica statistics||Replica metrics that provide information about the overall health of the Zookeeper Ensemble.|
This guide discusses the steps to set up the Zookeeper integration on a Gateway. Once the integration is set up, the samplers providing the dataviews become available to that Gateway.
To view the sample metrics and dataviews, see Zookeeper Monitoring Technical Reference.
This monitoring template is a Gateway configuration setup that can be included in the Gateway Setup Editor.
To use this template, your configuration must meet the following requirements:
- Active Console that is connected to the Gateway.
- A JMX-enabled Zookeeper Ensemble.
- Zookeeper configuration files extracted to their Gateway set-up.
The following requirements must be met prior to the installation and setup of the template:
- Template package: geneos-integration-zookeeper-<version>.zip.
- A Managed entity for each monitored Replica (node) in the Zookeeper ensemble.
For more information on supported versions, see Application and plug-in specific information in Geneos 5.x Compatibility Matrix.
Note: This template is verified to be working with Zookeeper version 3.4.11.
This document is a reference guide to introduce templates and scripts built using the Geneos development toolkit plug-ins.
The template allows you to integrate specific applications and services to collect metrics without having to create a new plug-in.
Ensure that you have read and can follow the system requirements prior to installation and setup of this integration template.
- Download the config file (geneos-integration-zookeeper-<version>.zip) from the ITRS Downloads site.
- Open Gateway Setup Editor.
- In the Navigation panel, click Includes to create a new file.
- Enter the location of the file to include in the Location field. In this example, it is the
- Update the Priority field. This can be any value except
1. If you input a priority of
1, the Gateway Setup Editor returns an error.
- Expand the file location in the Include section.
- Select Click to load.
- Click Yes to load the new Zookeeper include file.
- Click Managed entities in the Navigation panel.
- Add the Zookeeper-Replica type to the Managed Entity section that you will use to monitor Zookeeper.
- Click Validate current document to check your configuration.
- Click Save current document to apply the changes.
These are the pre-configured samplers available to use in
Configure the required fields by referring to the table below:
ZookeeperMonitoring.xml template provides the following variables that are set in the Environments section:
|ZOOKEEPER_JMX_HOST||IP/Hostname of the Zookeeper Replica.
|ZOOKEEPER_JMX_PORT||JMX port of the Zookeeper Replica.
|ZOOKEEPER_MYID||MYID of the Zookeeper Replica.
|ZOOKEEPER_MONITORING_GROUP_NAME||Sampler group name.
|ZOOKEEPER_REPLICA_CFG_SAMPLING_INTERVAL||Sampler interval of ReplicaCfg.
|ZOOKEEPER_REPLICA_STATS_SAMPLING_INTERVAL||Sampler interval of ReplicaStats.
Zookeeper-SampleRules.xml template also provides a separate sample rules that you can use to configure the Gateway Setup Editor.
Your configuration rules must be set in the Includes section.
The table below shows the included rule set-up in the configuration file that sets the severity rules and triggers alerts to:
|Zookeeper-ReplicaStats-HighLatency||Monitor the server response time.|
|Zookeeper-ReplicaStats-HighOutstandingRequests||Detect any pending requests in the server, and if they exceed the provided limit.|
|Zookeeper-ReplicaStats-NoWatchers||Notify when the monitored Replica has no watchers.|
|Zookeeper-ReplicaStats-NoZNodes||Notify when the monitored Replica has no znodes.|