Create Business Components and Services
The creation, modification and deletion of Business Services and Components are done via the Configuration > BSM page.
Once loaded, you will see a section similar to the one below:
To create a Business Service, you first need to make sure you have components.
Create a Component
To create a new Component, click on the Components tab:
Once clicked, the Components window will load as shown below. Within the Create new component section, the following fields are available:
- Name — The name of the component, i.e. ‘Apache cluster’.
- Host Template — Specify the Host template here. This will filter the list of Hosts available that can be added to the Component. All Hosts added to a Component must have the same Service Checks, to ensure the resiliency is correct. This is enforced by ensuring all Hosts have the same Host templates applied.
NoteIf the Host Template has a cust icon associated with it, this icon will be automatically shown instead of the by-default cog icon.
- Hosts — Select the Hosts who you wish to be part of this Component. This list is filtered to display only Hosts that have the selected Host template applied.
- Hosts Count — Shows the total number of Hosts selected.
- Allowed to Fail/Required Online — These two sliders work in conjunction with one another; here you can set how many Hosts you require online (i.e. ‘green’), or how many Hosts you are allowing to fail (i.e. ‘red’) before the Component changes from operational to offline.
- Operational zone — The number of Hosts required online (i.e. ‘green’) in order for the component to be online — displayed as a percentage. In the example below, we are adding a new Component called ‘Opsview Agents’, which uses the Host template ‘Opsview - Component - Agent’. There are three Hosts in the new Component, and the Component requires all to be online:
Click Create and the new Component is added and is ready for use within a new or existing Business Service.
Create a Business Service
To create a new Business Service, click on the Business Services tab.
On the right-hand side, give the Business Service a name. Then, add the Components by dragging the components you wish to be part of the BSM from the Components Drawer at the bottom of the screen into the Components selected for BSM table.
The image below is made up of two main Opsview Components.
Click Create and the new Business Service is added. You can then view the status of your BSM when going to Monitoring > BSM Summary. For more information, see BSM Monitoring Views.