You can use the OP5 Monitor host and service views to:
- Check the status of hosts and services.
- Perform actions on hosts and services.
- Acknowledge a problem on a host or service for which you received a notification.
- Schedule downtime on a host or service.
You can find more information about problem responses, in particular acknowledging problems and scheduling downtime, in Problem responses.
You can perform various actions on your hosts and services from the monitoring views. You can perform actions on all objects associated with the current object, such as services associated with a host, and also on multiple objects of the same type. For more information, see Multiple actions.
Note that in the table below, actions listed with (host/service) in the name have three variations — one for the host view, one for the service view, and one for the multiple actions menu. For example, the three variations of the Re-schedule next (host/service) check command are:
- Re-schedule next host check (host view)
- Re-schedule next service check (service view)
- Re-schedule next check (multiple action menu)
|Acknowledge problem||See Acknowledge problems.|
|Remove acknowledgement||See Acknowledge problems.|
|Check now||Run a check on the host or service.|
|Add a new comment||Add a new manual comment to the host or service. Manual comments are displayed in the list view Status column along with system-generated comments (for example, comments you enter when acknowledging a problem) and in the host/service detail page, where you can also delete them.|
|Submit passive check result||Submit results of checks run from external plugins for the host or service. Specify the plugin output, status code, and performance data.|
|Re-schedule next (host/service) check||Specify the time of the next check to run on the host or service and whether to force the check.|
|Schedule downtime||See Schedule downtime.|
|Cancel all downtimes||See Schedule downtime.|
|Delete downtime||See Schedule downtime.|
|Send custom notification||Send a notification to all contacts for the host or service. Specify whether to broadcast and force the notification.|
|Enable active (host/service) checks||Enable checks on the host or service.|
|Disable active (host/service) checks||Disable checks on the host or service.|
|Disable notifications for all services||Disable notifications for all services on a host.|
|Enable notifications for all services||Enable notifications for all services on a host.|
|Enable (host/service) notifications||Enable notifications on the host or service.|
|Disable (host/service) notifications||Disable notifications on the host or service.|
|Schedule (host/service) downtime||See Schedule new downtime.|
|Enable checks of all services||Enable checks on all services associated with a host.|
|Disable checks of all services||Disable checks on all services associated with a host.|
|Schedule a check of all services||Specify the time to perform the next check on all the services associated with a host, and whether to force the check.|
|Start obsessing over this service||Enable execution of obsessive-compulsive command checks on a service in a distributed environment.|
|Stop obsessing over this service||Disable execution of obsessive-compulsive command checks on a service in a distributed environment.|
|Start accepting passive checks||Enable passive checks (checks from external plugins).|
|Stop accepting passive checks||Disable passive checks (checks from external plugins).|
|Enable flap detection||Enable detection of flapping. For more information, see the Naemon documentation.|
|Disable flap detection||Disable detection of flapping, For more information, see the Naemon documentation.|
|Delete configuration||See Delete a host or service configuration.|
- Open the Monitor menu, then select the view you want to open under the Hosts or Services menu entry, for example Hosts > All Hosts. OP5 Monitor displays the list view for all hosts.
- In the host or service list view, you can now perform the following:
- View or update the host or service details or respond to a problem, by clicking the host or service name. For more information, see Host or service detail page.
- View or update the service or host configuration, by clicking the configuration icon in the Actions column. For more information, see Configure a host or service.
- (Host view only) Go to the list view containing the services associated with the host, by clicking the service list icon in the Actions column.
- Perform an action from the quick access menu, by right-clicking the status icon in the first column. For more information, see Quick access.
- Perform multiple actions on a list of objects. For more information, see Multiple actions.
- View a performance graph or comments for the host or service, by hovering over the icons in the Status column.
- Perform extra host or service actions, by clicking the extra actions icon in the Actions column. Note that this icon only appears if configured for the host or service. For more information, see Host options or Service options.
- View extra host or service notes, by clicking the extra notes icon in the Actions column. Note that this icon only appears if configured for the host or service. For more information, see Host options or Service options.
The host or service detail page gives you a detailed overview of the current host or service, and access to all the related actions and data available:
From a host or service detail page, you can perform the following:
- Use the Options menu to configure, view data for, and perform actions on the host or service:
- Report lists the reports you can view for the host or service.
- Actions lists the actions you can perform on the host or service.
- Configuration > Configure takes you to the host or service configuration page. For more information, see Configure a host or service.
- Configuration > Delete takes you to a host or service deletion page. For more information, see Delete a host or service configuration.
- (Host detail page only) Links takes you to a list view of notifications, the graph overview page, the extra notes page, the extra actions page, and the host location on a NagVis map.
- (Host detail page only) Service Operations lists operations you can perform on services.
- Toggle local runtime options on or off in the centre of the page, such as checks, notifications, flap detection, and obsessing; these are local changes which are overwritten if you change the service or host configuration.
- View details of contacts and contact groups in the centre of the page, at the bottom.
- View and delete comments in the centre of the page, at the bottom.
- Manage problem responses for the host or service on the left of the page, as follows:
- Configure the host or service by clicking the configure icon on the left of the page.
If hosts or services become unreachable, it can be due to a problem with the host above them in the network hierarchy. For more information on network hierarchies, see Parenting.
You can view details of all network outages by clicking Monitor > Network Outages.