Active Console is one of the major software components in the Geneos architecture that includes the Gateway and Netprobe. It is a standalone Java and C++ application that allows you to connect to and view the contents of Geneos Gateways.
Active Console has a front graphical user interface (GUI) that can present real-time monitoring and allow control functionality, such as alerts, commands, and rules.
When you use the Active Console, you see the following components and dockables:
To know more about the basic interface of Active Console, see Quickstart Guide.
The Menu bar contains the File, View, Tools, and Help buttons. These allows you to:
- Create, open, and save a workspace.
- Import a component exported from source files.
- View the other list of dockables, such as Commands, Event Tickers, Netprobe, and Output dockable.
- Open the Active Dashboard. See Introduction to Active Dashboard.
- Create a quick metrics overview.
- Access the Geneos online documentation.
The Toolbar contains the commonly used functions:
Save the workspace.
Select a workspace.
Toggle the State Tree mode.
Configure a Gateway.
Create a quick metrics overview.
Edit the workspace settings.
- Launch the Reporting Tool, Notifier Manager, Search Results, SSO Login button, and a Find control field.
The State Tree shows the content of all Gateways connected to Active Console. It can be displayed either in Logical mode or Physical mode.
- Logical mode — managed entity-centric that refers to the components in your monitored environment.
- Physical mode — Gateway-centric that uses the Gateway names or attributes to display data in State Tree.
An alternative option is available to organise your entities based on the specified attributes you want to set. To customise the State Tree view, go to Workspace settings > General > Viewpath.
For more information, see State Tree Dockable.
The Gateways dockable displays a list of the Gateways that are currently configured for the connected Active Console.
For more information, see Gateways Dockable.
The Metrics dockable contains a number of metrics views. It consists of two main components that are called View Selector and Metrics Table.
- View Selector — contains a list of metrics tables based on your Gateway configurations.
- Metrics Table — shows the dataview of the selected metric component.
Here is an example of an Active Console with multiple Gateway connections, State Tree, metrics tables, and a metrics dataview:
For more information, see Metrics Dockable.